HomeAbraod Study USA



Study in USA

Irrespective of problem-areas, the United States of America (USA) will (most probably!) be the hottest destination for Nepali and international students. It is not difficult to accertain why. The reliablity and quality of education, wide-range of specialties, flexibility, lhuge campuses, student friendly professors, funding and international opportunities are only but a few of the reasons for attracting the cream students from throughout the world. It is not so easy to dislodge the position of US as the 'land of opportunities'.

There are more than 3,700 universities and colleges in the USA, offering short-term certificate programs to Post-Doctoral level degrees. High percentage of students prefer to study in the USA at either the Bachelors level or Masters and beyond.

Bachelor's level is the most popular among Nepali students who would like to make their career plans for higher education. More than 80% of Nepali students apply for Bachelor's level programs in US universities.

Among all, Engineering and its specialties (MS) are most popular, followed by Management (MBA) and other subjects like Pharmacy, Public Health, Physiotherapy and other programs.

Each of the specialization has its own typical requirements for application, admission and all aspects further education in USA.


Education System

Education system in the USA is different from the British system of education as in Nepal and from other countries.

After the Nursery school and Kindergarten, primary or elementary education starts which will be from first to sixth grade. Grades from 7thto 12th is known as secondary education in which seventh to nineth are known as Junior High School grades and 10thto 12thare known as Senior High School Grades.

One can join the first year of college, either in a community college which offers a two-year Associate degree or a technical institute of similar duration programs. Completion of this level will make one eligible to take up two more years of the undergraduate program at a four-year college or a university, on completion of which leads to a Bachelor's degree.

A Master's degree after that could be between one to two years. The Doctoral level education could be simultaneous along with the Master's or additional, which can be another 3-4 years.

Employment - as a student

Students  are not allowed to work full-time, while studying in the USA. Further, employment of international students, who reached USA on a non-immigrant visa such as F-1, is strictly regulated.

If students maintain their visa status and be in good standing, they could work part-time and on campus only for upto 20 hours a week. During holidays and college breaks, students could work full-time, if they maintain the good standing.

Under special cases, students could seek approval from the Department of Homeland Security (through their respective college) to work full-time in case of 'economic necessity' or if they face unexpected financial crises. Such full-time work is possible only after one year of stay in the US and after proper endorsement on the I-20 by the International Student Adviser of the university where the student is enrolled.

Even Off-campus employment must be authorized in writing.

After completion of education, any student could take up Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or internship, for a period of one year with companies in the USA, which is normally the first step to seek a more regular employment under H1B category, for further stay.




Copyright © 2015 All Rights Reserved. Marigold Education Consultancy

Powered by: nmspl